Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Food Evangelists

Most likely you have heard someone telling you about the latest diet they are trying or food they are excluding. Should it provide benefits to their health, they will most likely try to encourage you to do the same. 

Go vegan. Gluten free for me. Stay away from GMOs. Nix the processed foods. Avoid sugar. Don’t get grain brain. Only eat grass-fed, pastured-raised meat for optimal health.

While I often provide my opinion on such matters, I am silently screaming, “Leave me alone! I’m thrilled that works for you, but I’m not interested!”

In a world where many of us have moved away from trying to evangelize our friends and neighbors for fear of offending them, a growing number of people are preaching their food religion on every street corner, or Facebook post, as if it were Gospel.

It is amazing how easily I can parallel my work life—talking about food and farming—with my church life. I often think that I should use my training and experience for having agriculture conversations and translate that into having conversations about the soul-cleansing blood of the lamb.
I occasionally lead the lesson in my ladies Sunday school class, and I usually always have a work example to share with them. We just started a lesson on atonement, and I began thinking about psychology and why some do not want to turn away from their sins. Maybe it is because they do not have an immediate, problematic consequence, let alone a fear of God.

I held up my can of diet soda and said I had been trying to remove it from my diet for a long while. Some say they are one of the worst things you can consume, but I have not experienced any type of ill effect from drinking them, so it is not a priority. The group quickly shared their own stories about soda, then other foods and additives. It was amazing how quickly the conversation shifted and how easily everyone engaged.

Why? We have to eat, and food is an emotional subject. Since most of us are not hungry or starving, our food choices are based on how we are feeling. And we have so many choices these days. We also have an increased awareness of our health. Should we have a problem or illness, it is so much more gratifying to point a finger at a specific cause rather than bad genetics, dumb luck or a lifetime or bad choices. It is even more gratifying and empowering to find a group of people who have the same issues and set of beliefs about food.

I admit that my notions of psychology, nutrition and even religion are based primarily on experience. I know I don’t have all the answers, but I do know we need to consider the experiences and values of others in our quest to share more about agriculture. Don’t always assume that a person makes a particular food or diet decision because they have not been “educated” or have been fed bad information.

I know it is tough to hear people chastise your production methods or the food you are producing.  My advice is not to keep your beliefs to yourself, but approach the subject in a personal way. Tell people why you farm. Tell people why you choose certain methods while sharing your values.
A recent study conducted by the Center for Food Integrity found that people are more likely to put trust in someone that has similar values over vocational expertise. That is profound. As a Type A personality, I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, but I realize that I may need to alter my approach to reach more people unlike myself.


My goal is not to be the annoying food evangelist. While I want consumers to believe in what my farmers do, I need to realize some may have personal issues that weigh heavily on their food choices. Let’s be positive. Let’s seek understanding. Let’s not condemn. Some will have their minds made up no matter what we say, but if we stay the course, the food “lost” may look to us for answers and peace of mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment